Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I have done something terrible


I hate to admit this, but INSANITY was probably right. I do deserve that stuff he said. Still, he didn't have to be a douche about it.

So here's what happened: I was just driving (would the term be driving? I am so inexperienced with motorcycles...) along around the park, when there's this loud bump, and the next thing I know I'm just flying through the air, landing roughly on the ground and rolling through the dirt.

.... No, INSANITY, I did not end up in a coma!

Anyway, I got up roughly and winced in pain as I realized I'd sprained my ankle. My knees were aching as well, and my hands were bleeding all over the place. I should probably wear protective gear next time.
So i looked over at the bike; it didn't look too much worse for wear, although it had stopped running, so some damage must have been done to the engine or something.

Then I looked over and saw what I'd run over.

Now, ducks are usually quite humorous animals. Even the word duck is quite funny to hear and say. But when I saw that helpless bird, lying there, covered in dirt and blood, the last thing I was doing was laughing.
I'm not sure how a duck was run over by my motorcycle. I know there's a lake right in the center of the park, so it wasn't a matter of why it was there. But if a duck, or any animal for that matter, happened to be crossing the trail, they'd probably be able to hear a motorcycle from a mile away.

But that wasn't on my mind at that moment. The only thing on my mind was that I had just killed something. Or at least mortally wounded it.

I get really squeamish at the though of killing or being killed. I have several friends who like to go hunting for fun, but I despise the act. Killing innocent creatures for my own amusement, or really any reason at all, is not something I would ever like to do.

Now, INSANITY might say that's a little hypocritical  after all, I'm using a bike that clearly isn't mine. But using things without permission is NOT the same as killing!

Anyway, I realized the duck was alive when it began flapping one of its wings and making pained quacking sounds, trying desperately to get up. As soon as i saw that, I scooped it up into my arm, with some difficulty, and stand the bike up with my other hand.

After trying several times and failing to start the motorcycle, I realized I'd have to walk to a vet, and later an auto repair shop (motorcycles count as automobiles, right?) on my own.

Fortunately, my town is relatively small, so that wasn't as much of a problem as it would be if I lived in, like, New York or something.

So, as I arrived around twenty minutes later to the local vet, I parked the bike and ran in, where they too the duck into some room and said I couldn't go in until they'd finished all their tests.

That was cool with me, as I needed to fix the bike anyway. That rose another problem.

Because I don't have a car, I've never needed to repair an automobile before, and so I had no idea where the repair shop was, or if we even have one.

That's when my phone rang. I fished out of my pocket and read the caller ID. It was Tom. Crap.

"Hello?" I said, trying to hide the nervousness in my voice.

Unfortunately, we had grown too close to each other over the years, so he knew exactly what I was thinking.

"What did you do to my bike?" he asked.

"Nothing...," I said.

"You're not fooling anyone, Branden," he replied.

"Fine," I said. "In that case, do you know where I could find a repair shop?"

At this, Tom started yelling obscenities into the phone, words I had never even heard before and ones I didn't think could exist. Thankfully, I was saved by the beeping that told me I had another call.

"Sorry, gotta take this," I said, though I doubt he heard me over his own yelling.

"Hey sweetie, when are you coming home?" asked my mom as I put Tom on hold. "I made pizza!"

"Uh....," I said, even more nervously than when Tom had called.

"And by made, I mean ordered. Like from a pizzeria."

"Oh," I replied, relieved. Mom is a nice woman, but a terrible cook.

But, uh, don't tell her I said that. Even though she knows it. Still don't tell her.

"Yeah, I'll me there in a few minutes, I've got some... stuff to take care of."

"Okay," she said, sounding a little suspicious, "But get home soon, it'll be arriving any minute now, and I'd hate to eat by myself."

"Okay, mom. Love you."

"Love you, too."

When I hung up, Tom was still screaming at the top of his lungs.

"In a castle far away where no one can hear you!" he finished.

"Yeah," I said. "So about the auto shop?"

Tom sighed. "It's right by the vet's office. By the way, you do know you need a licence to drive a motorcycle, right?"

My eyes widened. "Uh, yeah, of course I know that! What, you thought I didn't have a licence?"

"As far as I know, you don't turn sixteen until April."

Well, he got me there.

"So I've been driving a motorcycle illegally," I said. "Just add that to another of the terrible things I've done today!"

"What?" he asked, slightly confused.

"Nothing, gotta go."

With that, I hung up and left the vet's office. So, it turns out there is an auto repair shop right next to it. You'd think I'd have noticed that.

As I brought the motorcycle in, the guy at the shop regarded it... regardfully. Wow, I felt so confident going into that sentence.

"What did you do, run over a puppy with it?" he asked immediately.

"Not exactly," I replied vaguely. "Just... How long is it gonna take?"

"Oh, I wouldn't be worried about that," he replied. "What I'd be worried about is how much it's gonna cost ya'. You got a job, kid?"

I winced and shook my head.

"Then who do you think's gonna pay for this?"

"Well," I said, "My mom's the only person I'm living with right now, so her."

The man shook his head. "I should have it fixed in a few days. Give me your number, and I'll give you a call. Your mom can come over and pay for it then."

I told him my phone number, then left. I went into the vet's office to check on the duck, and they said it would have to stay there for a few days, and after that they'd release it back into the park.

So, as I walked home, I reflected around my thoughts.

I'd run over a duck, found out I'd been riding a motorcycle illegally this whole time, and just cost my mom an indeterminate amount of money. I decided not to tell her about it, so dinner was slightly awkward.

Anyway, that's what happened today guys. I don't know what to do! I feel so incredibly guilty. I did something I shouldn't have, and it all went completely wrong. I mean, sure, this will all be fixed by the end of the week, but wouldn't have even had to be fixed if I had just done what I was told.

So, I guess you win this round, INSANITY. But you still don't have to be a douche about it.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, but Branden, do you know what a douche is?

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douche

    Educate yourself, child. And finger crossed Tom gets you into a coma.

    ~INSANITY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW what a douche is, and I can use it to mean whatever I want! We make the English language, you know. Words only mean what you want them to mean.

    Wow, I'm starting to sound oddly philosophical...

    And what is your problem with me? I AM NOT going into a coma no matter how hard you wish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I KNOW what a douche is, and I can use it to mean whatever I want! We make the English language, you know. Words only mean what you want them to mean."


    You are clearly a bigot.


    "Wow, I'm starting to sound oddly philosophical..."

    Child, a preschooler thinking up a theory about the starts is more philosophical than you, and they aren't even being philosophical in the first place.


    "And what is your problem with me? I AM NOT going into a coma no matter how hard you wish it!"


    Of all the evils in the world I could wish upon you, you get antsy over being wished a coma upon?

    Why not have something from a Internet story wished upon you, hmm?

    ReplyDelete